About the pub
First licensed in 1690, the Cat & Cage is one of Dublin’s oldest surviving coach houses. At one point in its history, it was also a postal stop, where rebels during the 1798 rebellion seized a postal cart to signal to others in north County Dublin to revolt.
One of Dublin’s oldest and best known pubs, Sean O’Casey devoted an entire chapter of his autobiography to a raucous night spent in the Cat & Cage in the 1890’s, when the building was a thatched cottage on the outskirts of Dublin City. O’Casey, in the company of his brothers, had an altercation with the local constabulary, escaping only by sequestering a horse and cart!
Recently renovated to a very high spec, the owners feel a deep sense of importance in continuing the legacy of the Cat & Cage into its 4th Century of business.